Dog Figurine Collecting

What makes dog figurines one of the most popular collectibles in the world? Well it’s not that difficult to figure out. Dogs have always been known as man’s best friend. They are enjoyed and appreciated by all who are able to keep them as pets, and use them as help. Children especially love dogs, and when they are given a fluffy Pug or plastic dog character to play with, they are kept happy and content for hours. There are such a large variety of dog breeds to choose from. The figurine world has captured them all in their various types, sizes, colors and natures.


Dog figurines are the perfect gift for the dog lover, and are great for any occasion. I am certain you won’t have a problem finding the dog that goes with the receiver, for example a Pug figurine. Some artists enjoy making amusing ceramic dog figurines that capture human characteristics and portray them in their dogs. Other artists who make detailed crystal or pewter figurines, like to capture the characters of that particular dog breed, such as the Pug or the Schnauzer, or even the Dalmation. One of my favorites is the English sheep dog figurine with its long shaggy coat, and my German shepherd dog – a replica of my own faithful Shadow.


Here are some other types of figurines you could get: owl figurines frog figurines elephant figurines gargoyle figurines border terrier figurines eagle figurines buddah figurines great dane figurines


I remember a time in my childhood where two of our female Dalmation dogs had puppies within days of one another. The one had nine puppies and one had eight, and they all lived. When we counted them we had 23 dogs on the property. It was delightful for us as children, but hard work for my mother. We had to take turns trying to keep the two mothers from visiting the other ones puppies, and then still as they grew older trying to stop them from getting out of their little pen we made. We had really come to love each one of them, so it was very sad when the time came when we had to find homes for all of them. This is when we come to realize that dogs are our companions, our shadow and our friend, and why so many people enjoy collecting dog figurines.


Dogs have been an inspiration to many artists. My mother is also an artist. She used to sit down with her drawing book and make sketches of the dogs on the farm. It was what brought her pleasure and watching her enjoy creation was a big part of our life. I remember when she became interested in pottery and started sculpting animals out of clay, especially Pug or Dalmation figurines . They were beautiful but very fragile, so I was not allowed to play with them, just look at them and admire them. This is when I learnt to appreciate the value of art. Being a dog lover myself I’d started collecting many different kinds of dog sculptures made mostly from clay, plastic and crystal. Later I started collecting figurines made of glass, crystal, brass and pewter. I was proud of my collection. Eventually my friends and family would buy me dog figurines for my birthday and any other occasion until my collection grew so large I didn’t know what to do with them all.


No matter what type of dog figurine you are looking for, you will be able to find it on the Internet. Many figurine enthusiasts are browsing the net for different styles, such as crystal figurines skillfully handcrafted into necklaces, or beautifully painted ceramic statutes, or bronze trophies for dog shows etc. There are too many types to name them all. My advice would be to spend some time walking through the different gift shops and deciding what would suit your collection. It would be to your benefit to make a note of what interests you first, and then searching specifically for that breed, and then compare prices. Your effort will be worth it.


If I may give you a friendly word of advise on cleaning your figurines – dust or wipe your figurines gently once a week if you can. This will keep them looking clean and shiny and your display will be highly appreciated by all your friends and visitors.


Dog figurines can be cherished keepsakes for generations to come.


Article written by Jarad Nelson.

0 comments:

Post a Comment